Saturday 13 July 2013

JC et al.--Living in Truth 11

Grace is Pro Bono, Bono is Pro-Grace
 
 U2--Yahweh

“It's a mind-blowing concept that the God who created the universe might be looking for company, a real relationship with people, but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between Grace and Karma….You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics; in physical laws every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so you will sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff….That's between me and God. But I'd be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge. I'd be in deep s---. It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for Grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity.” Excerpt from the book Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas (2005). Retrieved from: http://www.thepoachedegg.net/the-poached-egg/2010/09/bono-interview-grace-over-karma.html
*****
Behold I am making all things new….I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost….Behold I am coming quickly, and my reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end….And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.”  Jesus Christ, Revelation 21:5-6; 22:12,17 NASB

No comments: