In the next blog entry we’ll share some key quotes related to training, from the last 15+ years.
1. Develop a global listing of training opportunities.
Consider updating it every month (or at least every three months), and include brief descriptions and web/email links. Organising it by date, location, and content, would also be helpful. A coordinator or coordinating group with the time to do the updates would be necessary. Some commentary/analysis on where/what training is being offered—who is benefiting and where the greatest needs are—would also be important.
2. Form a network of trainers.
Consider connecting with other people who are doing training. Interact via the internet and at conferences. Establish some criteria for being part of such a network. As shared previously in other blog entries, accrediting/vetting member care workers (MCWs) can be very difficult due to the international diversity of backgrounds and training for MCWs. Develop an agenda to coordinate as much as possible some of the training, and do some joint projects.
3. Increase access to training.
4. Maintain an annotated listing of key materials in member care.
Several web sites are included in the web links section at: www.ethe.net/membercare
5. Some topics to consider for training:
Member care overview
Interpersonal skills/mutual care
Personnel/member care departments
Education for children
Developing member care/networking
Reflection and Discussion
1. What other suggestions do you have for further developing member care training internationally?
2. What are some of the greatest needs?