Wednesday 29 May 2013

JC et al.--Living in Truth 8

Dissidents
This PBS News Report commemorates and discusses the exemplary life of Václav Havel--the writer, dissident, and former president of the Czech Republic. It was done shortly after his death in December 2011 at the age of 75. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_SCXfR2wHw
The dissident does not operate in the realm of genuine power at all. He is not seeking power. He has no desire for office and does not gather votes. He does not attempt to charm the public, he offers nothing and promises nothing. He can offer, if anything, only his own skin--and he offers it solely because he has no other way of affirming the truth he stands for. His actions simply articulate his dignity as a citizen, regardless of the cost. Václav Havel
*****
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.  The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it...I lay down my life for the sheep. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. Jesus Christ, John 10: 11-12, 17

No comments: